1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

“It was growling at my six-year-old, I wanted my kid to be safe and myself to be safe.”

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by ethics, Jun 18, 2010.

1. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

I know being a cop is a shitty, thankless job. I know they sacrifice a lot and not just putting their lives on the line. I support them 99% of the time.

But sometimes, I just have to scratch my head.
    So they did just that. It was caught on camera (DISCLAIMER: GRAPHIC):

<object width="640" height="505"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/4kJVnA5KXJw&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x402061&color2=0x9461ca"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/4kJVnA5KXJw&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x402061&color2=0x9461ca" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="505"></embed></object>

Backstory here: http://www.hannibal.net/news/x1600620381/LaGrange-dog-owner-vows-to-fight-for-law-changes

Of course, this is just 10 mins of video. I can't tell if the dog is aggressive enough to have her put down like that but...

What gets me is that they had the dog by the neck with the pole, it was also tied down. I don't fucking get it.

2. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

That probably could have been handled better...

SM

3. MemphisMark

MemphisMark Old School Conservative

4. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

1. They're law enforcement, not animal control.
    2. If the town is too bloody cheap to hire animal control officers, why should that job fall to the police department?
    3. Mighty convenient that there's no sound in the video, allowing one to make a case either for or against what happened.

Hey, I love critters just as much as the next person, but I'm also more likely to shoot s stray rather than waste the time of the animal control, shelter, and may save the taxpayer a dime or two. Dog growls at any family member? It better have a damn good reason or it's dead. Stray dog growls at any family member? I don't care what the reason is, it's dead.

It's clear the animal does not want to get into the truck. It looks to have a bit of weight on it, and even with the catch pole, trying to wrestle 50-60 pounds of unwilling dog into the back of a vehicle isn't the easiest thing in the world, especially if you don't do it for a living.

I'll give the officer's a pass on this one.

5. ethics

Poor reasoning there, Tom. Every county has an animal control, so call them.

Atrocious reasoning.

I don't think there's anything a sound would substantiate in this case for the officers. Seriously. I see the dog being scared as hell. The cops were scared of the dog and didn't know how to handle her. So, shooting was the easier option.

Unreal.

6. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

IF a county has any type of animal control, it doesn't necessarily mean they will respond to your location. Ran into it on more than one occasion while living in San Antonio. City wouldn't respond to our address (technically county jurisdiction), and county didn't have a dedicated animal control officer. They'd tell you to contact the city. Bexar county has a shelter, but there are no animal control officers that will respond to a county location.

Which goes back to my original statement, if animal control is non-existent, or will not respond, why should it fall to the shoulders of law enforcement? It's not their job. I can tell you right now, Bexar County Sheriff's Dept wouldn't even try as hard as they did in the video and would most likely end up shooting the animal. And while they didn't officially tell callers to take care of the issue themselves, it was widely known that they weren't going to do anything if you took care of the issue yourself.

A scared animal is a dangerous animal. Police officers aren't trained in animal control, and I don't think it should fall to them to round up every stray if the city is too cheap to hire an animal control officer. And if the police ARE called, one shouldn't be terribly upset if the stray is shot. I won't blame the officer's in this case at all. If there's any blame to be had, point it at the town or city for not having a dedicated animal control staff. This isn't the officer's fault, and they shouldn't be blamed at all.

7. cmhbob

cmhbob Did...did I do that? Staff Member

Leon, Tom's right - not all jurisdictions have animal control officers. It may not be that they're cheap, mind you. It may be that they're trying really really hard to maintain other services, and they just can't afford the 25k salary and 75k or so to outfit a dedicated animal control officer. Or they may not be able to find someone to hire. It's not necessarily a matter of being cheap.

I know Madison County, just west of us, hired a animal control deputy. He responds to all animal control calls, but he's also a certified LEO, in a marked truck with red & blue lights, and backs up deputies when they need help and he's nearby. That's probably the best solution for most jurisdictions.

8. tke711

tke711 Oink Oink Staff Member

WTF??

I know that's only part of what happened that day, but that dog didn't appear violent or aggressive to me AT ALL. I was expecting to see him showing teeth, charging the officers, etc., but instead saw a dog that was calmly sitting down or even laying down at one point, and only got irritated when they put that rope around his neck.

DUH...my dog, a little friggin Bichon doesn't like a rope around her neck either, let alone by some strangers, but I certainly wouldn't expect she'd get shot over it.

That video was so sad. The dog was laying there after getting shot the first time still wagging his tail. Yeah...that's a violent animal. :rolleyes:

9. Arc

Arc Full Member

Nationwide for a long period of time there as been a serious problem with the combination of law enforcement misusing guns on dogs. Incidents subjectively seem based on news stories to have gotten less over time but there is definitely a need to improve policy and hold accountable some shooters in the case of the shooting of dogs.

10. ethics

Agreed. I am not asking for the cop's head. I am not even asking for any disciplinary actions. I am asking for some educational videos on how to control an animal without using a gun.

1. The dog was not aggressive. Anyone who say she was has never owned one and has absolutely no fucking clue on dog's actions and motions when they are aggressive.

2. They had her on the pole.

3. Don't have an animal control within county, buy some tranqs. It's easy and everyone wins.

4. There HAS to be an ASPCA there or over next county. The dog wasn't aggressive enough to buy some time.

Having said all of the above. I blame the owner the most, not the cops, not the dog, not the county. You buy the dog, you are responsible for him/her.

11. Arc

Arc Full Member

The claim was made that a taser wouldn't be effective because it would only last five seconds. And they know this how? Also, even if true, what would have been the effect on the dog's behavior after he experienced 20,000 volts or so of electrical shock? Is there a possibility that he would stopped his "aggression?" Besides, doesn't it make sense to taser the dog before shooting him? What was there to lose?

The cold reality is when it comes to family pets or animals in general such as dogs and cats not all people give any value to the life of animals and overall don't care. Some even outright dislike animals with an emphasis on certain animals like a dog or cat. Others do like and care about the life of an animal but the value that they place on that animal varies tremendously on a person by person basis.

For instance I place a very high value on the life of mammals. But I emotionally react to snakes as the only good snake is a dead snake.