1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blekkotb_soc

Discussion in 'Bits & Bytes' started by Allene, Jan 11, 2013.

1. Allene

Allene Registered User

Sigh! I found the above in my Program Files (x86). It doesn't sound good, and I got a slew of hits on how to get rid of it. I'm not in a hurry to have another missing boot manager. What is a safe way to get rid of it without throwing out the baby?

Also, I was already planning to go back to Firefox as my main browser before you posted about the Java problem. I don't have Firefox loaded, but IE or something else has been slowing down my laptop a lot lately. Maybe it's just IE not being the best of browsers, or it could be malware. I do have MalwareBytes. Again, I don't want to do anything to totally crash my computer like I did last April. If I load Firefox and make it my default browser, does it come with Java already on it?

2. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

3. Allene

Allene Registered User

It came back with "no threats found."

4. Biker

5. Allene

Allene Registered User

I have just sent you the log from ComboFix via email. It's all Greek to me! Let me know what, if anything, was wrong. Thanks.

6. Biker

Don't see anything. Go ahead and run Malwarebytes and see if it hits on the tool bar.

7. Allene

Allene Registered User

SUCCESS! It nabbed Blekko right away, so I don't think it was in my computer very long because I have the Pro version.

Now I'm trying to get IE out of my system altogether because even though I made Firefox the default, IE won't accept it for long. I noticed an improvement in displaying sites with Firefox. The problem I was having recently with IE (or something else, maybe) was that the site would hang shortly after coming up, and I'd have to sit there and wait until it got its act together. Thanks for your help. Java is still on Firefox, but disabled.

8. Allene

Allene Registered User

One strange thing that happened over the past two weeks involved my credit card. My cc company found an entry waiting to be cleared from a place called Station Store or something like that for the amount of $0.00. They went viral and called us that morning, wanting to know if I knew anything about that. I said no. They told us someone was trying to commit fraud. My card was in my wallet, and I hadn't used it around town for a long time, but had used it online during the Christmas shopping period, so I ended up wondering if something was on my computer that was tracking keystrokes or something like that. I looked up that place on the Internet and found out that someone else had his wallet stolen the day before, and his credit card company called to report the same thing from the same place as what happened to me less than 24 hours later.

So my cc company said they were blocking my card and sending me a new one overnight via FedEx. That was a Thursday. We hung around the house all day Friday because the darn thing needed to be signed for. No sign of FedEx. Considering how FedEx doesn't even get here by 10:30 a.m., let alone overnight from Atlanta, I wasn't surprised. It eventually made its way here on the followning Monday. They had reissued the exact same card all over again!!!!!!!! GAH! I didn't get my actual replacement card until two days ago, but it did get here from Atlanta in the morning. I was shocked.

Have you heard about anything like this happening to other people lately? Is it related to getting malware, or is this simply the result of a dishonest employee at one of the places I shopped at online?

9. Biker

Every now and then you'll run across something that forces IE to be used when you click on the link. It's rare, but aggravating when you run across it.

10. Biker

There is malware that is designed strictly to steal your bank information. However I don't see anything in your logs that would indicate that you have something like that on your system. Although there are a couple of root kits in the wild that are extremely (if not impossible) to detect. Those are primarily aimed at Russian accounts, though, and are rare to be found in North America.

11. Allene

Allene Registered User

Thanks. I'll just forget about it. I'm back on, but I'm going to need to make a new icon. Even though I went through the process, it didn't work properly. I had too many icons anyway.