1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is there really a high tech shortage in the US?

Discussion in 'Society and Culture' started by Biker, May 25, 2012.

1. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

Or is it something else. We hear how there's a shortage of personnel in various high tech jobs and how educational institutions need to start churning out more science and engineering graduates to fill these jobs. But, aren't there already individuals out there who are already qualified?

There does seem to be a glut of qualified folks to fill these jobs. There's just one wrinkle, or maybe too many wrinkles, as these qualified individuals are older workers.

Norman Matloff, who is a professor of computer science at the University of California, Davis, touches on this in an OpEd on CNN but doesn't go far enough.

Yes, there ARE qualified workers out there, and they have the experience and knowledge to step into any job they're qualified for. Yet, these individuals are finding it increasingly difficult to find work (I'm one of 'em!) not because they don't know the job, but because of the experience level, companies aren't willing to even give them an interview as they feel the salary requirements will be too high.

The so called "shortage" is a self made shortage by the companies who want to hire the knowledge at cut rate prices. Individuals in their 40s and 50s find themselves increasingly locked out of jobs they can easily do because the company doesn't want to pay them for that experience. Even when individuals are desperate for that job, and are willing to take any pay just so they can work, it's a rare occurrence indeed to be even granted an interview. And the longer one is unemployed, the worse it gets as now the company will claim that you've been out of the field too long and aren't current on today's technology.

So the next time you see some CEO crying about how it's so damned difficult to fill their spots, stop and think about what they're really saying. What they really mean is they're unable to find some kid who can do the job for peanuts and don't want to hire anyone out of the existing glut of unemployed tech experts who would kill for just an interview.
    Arc likes this.
  2. Allene

Allene Registered User

You are right. I was already seeing that in the library in the 1990s. They were hiring lots of part-timers so they wouldn't have to pay benefits. When I left in 1999, the public service staff asked the director to find someone who was trained to do the job like I had been, but they wouldn't listen. Too $$$. Now it is much, much worse. Could you start your own business? I know that has its problems too--no benefits, no vacation, etc. I know you're good at what you do!
  3. Arc

Arc Full Member

Biker, there are plenty of jobs for those in their forties, fifties and even sixties. They can all ways work in a call center, security guard at a construction site, McDonald's counter person or be a Walmart Greeter.

You might have a better chance in high tech industry, (just maybe), if you dropped English as your second language and pretended to be from India or Pakistan with poor English skills, and a poor understanding of the what exactly your US employer does business wise or its culture for which you are doing their IT.

Actually you are spot on. Good post.
  4. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

What a crock of shit...

To read... We can't find any young flunkies who will work for peanuts and know what they're doing. Disgusting........